Singapore is known as one of the Asian tigers and this small nation has a long and colourful history and is one of the most popular tourist destinations on the Asian continent.
Here are a few surprising things about Singapore that you probably didn’t know.
- Singapore consists of 64 islands – While most people know that Singapore is an island state, not a lot of people are aware that there is a total of 64 islands that make up the country of Singapore. Land reclamation has increased the area by about 25% and not all the islands are inhabited.
- Singapore has 4 official languages – It might surprise you to learn that Singapore has a total of 4 official languages; namely, English, Malay, Mandarin and Tamil. If you are staying in a five-star hotel in Singapore, the receptionist should be able to speak all the official languages, should it be required.
- Singapore hosted the first night F1 race – In 2008, Singapore hosted an evening F1 race on the twisty Marina street circuit with 23 corners, making it the longest in the F1 calendar. There are also music concerts and other great activities that make this one of the most popular races in the F1 calendar.
- Singapore is both a country and a city – The city of Singapore is one of the greenest in the world, which is by design. City planners focused on bringing nature into an urban environment, with as much as 50% of the city covered in greenery.
- Chewing gum is illegal in Singapore – Probably the only country in the world to make chewing gum illegal, the only people who can chew gum are those with a doctor’s prescription.
- Not flushing the toilet is against the law – Singapore has some unusual laws and if you use a public toilet, make sure you flush it, otherwise you could be fined.
- Singapore hosts the tallest indoor waterfall in the world – The Gardens by the Bay is home to a 35ft tall indoor waterfall.
- Singapore has the highest rate of home ownership in the world – About 92% of Singaporeans actually own the home they live in, which is the highest rate in the world.
- Singapore is the 5th largest arms importer in the world – Even though it might be one of the smallest nations on the planet, Singapore is one of the biggest importers of arms.
- Military service is compulsory for Singaporean males – After high school, every Singaporean male must do military service for two years.
If you are planning a holiday in Singapore, we hope that the above information enriches the experience.